Monday, July 26, 2010

Creating Clump-style Trident Maples

This was a good use for some unwanted Trident Maple seedlings .Using a piece of Villa Board i drilled a series of hole combinations to thread the whips into.Where the trunks were loose i added extra seedlings to ensure a snug fit . These were then planted into the ground and should fuse nicely .

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Big Plum Update

This was the collected plum that was potted up last season into a training box .I needed to do a root prune job so i set up a tripod with some 4x4 posts i had laced together with tie-downs and i used the same to suspend the trunk so the roots could be worked on .After trimming the roots not a great deal of feeder roots were left so i used a toothpick method i was shown from a forum i have joined to stimulate new roots . After completing the root work the trunk was placed back into a terracotta bowl that i had laying around .It was only just big enough at 600mm in diameter . It will reside in this tub until i can locate a bonsai pot big enough or make a custom tray for it .

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Progression of the Nigra

This was quite simple as removal of foliage takes place on collection to lighten the load on the roots I basically took it a step further and wired and styled the tree into a trainer .More movement in the vertical appearance will take place over time .While i was at it a needle trim was also done .Enough torture for now, it can rest and recover until i find the time to revisit and finish the styling

Collected Pinus Nigra-Austrian Pine

This was discovered a couple of years ago , it was a chop top after the Plantation corp workers left a shoot behind during roadside clearing .All it takes is a shoot or bud to start the regrowth process .I collect many chop tops as the trunks are formed and aged ,the only drawback is reverse taper which is not always an issue .This specimen has little or no taper .It was vertical when discovered however a Bulldozer used for clearing a fire break ran over the trunk and fractured the branch Over time it has healed and when collected it was almost parrellel to the ground .It lent itself to a cascade and hence the design was set .The severed top is healing quite well, a sacrafice branch was purposely left to aid the healing process .A close look at the chopped section still shows the chainsaw cut in the older wood .Because of the trimming that has taken place in the bush i semi styled this tree into a cascade starter 2 days after collecting . The dozer had obviously severed the tap root as removal was incredibly easy and a root-mass that you could only achieve in a training situation .

Elms transformed

These are the trunks that were collected from a winery in 2009. They were allowed to grow on uncontrolled to build a root-mass capable of sustaining themselves .With a quick cleanup with the garden hose i could get down to trimming the roots .These had responded well to the trim when collected . No real care was taken during trimming , the chainsaw would make short work of the butts then its into the planter bags for another season .I carved these trunks down from 1 metre high prior to removing them from the ground .Detail work is yet to be carried out .Cheers